Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Downton!



Yeah, we got kids now.
Back back back back back! And before you lump me in with the rest of those Downton fans who didn't know Masterpiece from Master Chef, let me just say that PBS Masterpiece has been a part of my life since before I was old enough to realize no one else thought it was cool. I'm talking pre-Cumberbatch Sherlock Holmes, people. I'm talking Hercule Poirot. You get me?

 
This was MY Sherlock Holmes
So my excitement is not just the result of a populace pushing this show as the newest thing that a bunch of people can agree is fantastic, it's the culmination of a lifetime of watching and waiting for others to recognize the good work PBS and the BBC do together. And when you get A&E in the mix, then it's like a black hole of amazing talent and gloriously gorgeous Brits (I'm looking at you, Colin Firth).

Just so we're clear, on the left an absolute dream and to the right an abomination.
So, I'm glad Masterpiece is finally getting the press they deserve, but I insist there be clarity on the fact that I was part of this before things got completely out of hand. To sum up, that means I was into Sherlock before Cumberbatch, Masterpiece was my jam back when Diana Rigg introed the Mystery! portion and Pride and Prejudice will always mean Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle and six hours of the best thing television has ever done. 

Thank you.



No comments: