Friday, February 8, 2008

Pint-Size Rejection


How big is rejection? Well, if your Balkin Agency Inc., it's about the size of a postcard. A small postcard. A really sad, disappointed, going to eat all the ice cream in the freezer tonight postcard. I guess for my first rejection I had expected something a little more personal. Maybe a form letter, or a handwritten note at the end of my chapter outline. Of course, that would be ridiculous, since I suspect that the Balkin Agency employee unfortunate enough to read my proposal probably didn't get passed the second paragraph of my Query letter. Alas, it begins - the inevitable series of cold, impersonal, uninterested rejections. You know it's coming, and yet somehow it catches you off guard. Oh well. Chin up. Keep writing. Keep sending those letters and outlines and sample chapters and maybe, maaaaaaybe, some sleep deprived, overworked, over-caffeinated agent employee may accidentally, on dropping his bifocals, mark the "acceptance" box instead of the "sorry, you're just not what we're looking for - you ugly, pathetic, no talent hag" box.

No comments: