Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Dropped Phone in Toilet, Hoping Rice Will Fix (UPDATED)

So, my phone is in here:

Because I dropped it in here:

                                       [toilet photo not found; probably disgusting anyway]
           
                                     

If my life is a screenplay, this would be the "dark night of the soul" bit.

UPDATE: 1/28/13 at 2:54pm

It lives! My phone is restored, everything works, the laws of physical science do not apply. How is this possible? Let's look at a step-by-step of what went down:

Wednesday: Dropped phone in toilet. Freaked out, but did not cry. Shoved phone into bag of rice (half wild rice, half Uncle Ben's instant).

Thursday: Heard my phone receive a text message, pulled it out of rice to find that it was indeed receiving alerts, but the touch screen was not responding. Shoved phone back into rice bag, began planning my life as a wandering nomad incapable of communicating with the world around me.

Friday: Watched a few YouTube videos of toilet phone people chronicling their attempts to revive the device, one of which advocated putting the phone up to the vacuum hose to suck the water out before putting in bag of rice. Thought the kid was stupid, followed his advice anyway.

Saturday: Touch screen is working, phone looks fine. Still too scared to move it out of the magic rice, so left phone in there for another day.

Sunday: Phone works. Took out of rice for the whole day, used with care. No problems.

Monday: Phone still working. Siri still stupid as hell, but phone working. Mind blown, fundamentals of science and technology tumbled.

Only one question remains: what else can a bag of rice fix? Have we explored this item to its full potential, because it's no good as food (rice is completely pointless as a food; it's like the sand of food). The next time anything around me breaks or malfunctions, I'm shoving it in a bag of rice; in fact, I might as well just start preemptively storing everything I own in bags of rice. What if it heals ailments? Aching feet? Bag of rice. Carpal tunnel? Bag of rice. Trick knees, tennis elbow, acne, wrinkles - I'm just going to start bathing in the stuff.

To rice!

1 comment:

teeritz said...

It works wonders for wristwatches (remember them, everybody? Sorry, I have a few of them) that have had water-entry issues. A jar half-filled with rice, place the watch on top of the rice, with it's winding crown pulled out as far as it will go, put lid on jar, and leave for a day or so. The rice is meant to draw the moisture out of the watch.
Congrats on a successful resuscitation of your phone! And nice blog you have here. I'm bookmarking it to mine, if you don't mind, Miss.