Sunday, November 24, 2013

Fall Shows I'm Trying to Like Part One: Dracula




So, I really want to like this show. It meets a lot of my criteria: period piece, supernatural element, Jonathan Rhys Meyers. There's just something that's off about it. Or maybe, a few things.

First off, I don't like the back and forth with Meyer's accent. It's not that he isn't good at it, it's just that in a sea of refined British speakers any American sounds like a clumsy ox lumbering through the English language. I get that it's the character they've chosen to be played, but it nevertheless annoys me.

Second, the plot is slow moving and complicated. I like depth to my plots (Once Upon a Time is so thick with plot that I sometimes forget who is what and why for). But whereas Once makes sense, this storyline requires some disjointed leaps. Dracula is brought back to life to defeat a group of businessmen who are also in some weird cult and have done some terrible things like burning people alive. But instead of just killing them off one by one, as I would expect a bloodthirsty vampire would be apt to do, he's impersonating an American businessman introducing an alternate energy source to the coal which is where all these men have their money interest. Oh, and also these guys especially don't like vampires. And their ancestors may have made Dracula a vampire in the first place. 

Huh?

Thirdly, I realize we're going for a sexy vibe here, but is it really necessary that we have no less than two elaborate sexy times between the same two people every damn episode? Yeah, Dracula sleeping with the one female vampire hunter of the show is real tensey, but over and over and over? Really? I see what you're doing; I get it. Could someone else on this show have sex now? 

There are good things going on here. Visually, it's beautiful. The action is good. The acting is good; Jonathan Rhys Meyers perpetually looks as if he has just, or very soon will cry and yet I'm not annoyed by it. A chick vampire hunter and a virginal feminist have every potential to be eye-rollingly on point and overbearing, but they're not. 

Not annoying. 


I'm only four episodes in. It may be that some of the more confusing and/or annoying elements of the show will resolve themselves the further we go. If not, then not; I don't think it will prevent me from watching every week. It may be the costumes, it may be the overall dedication of the players, but there's enough going on here that I'm willing to make a concerted effort to ignore most of its faults and just like the thing. 

Plus, Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Duh. 







No comments: